Monday, September 29, 2008

Sick Boys

So today we spent the day at the doctor's office and pharmacy. AGAIN.

Avery woke up this morning with a fever of 101, and saying his throat hurt bad. So I kept him home today, but went ahead and took Sam to school. After thinking about it, I decided to call and make both of them an appointment.

Sam has been getting progressively worse the last couple weeks, until this past week, when he went downhill even further. His lungs are full of junk, he is coughing disgusting stuff up all the time, and can't do anything without not being able to breath. I knew pneumonia was on it's way, but it hasn't gotten there yet, and usually they do nothing for us, until it does.

Anyway, I called and made an appointment, we ran and got Sam, and then went to our new pediatrician.

Avery has Strep. Greeeaaaatttt. I wonder what's next on my list??? I am sure it is too much to hope that I won't get it, since I get it constantly even when no one in my house has it. I am going to try my best though to make sure I don't get it. I have already sanitized everything and will be following Avery around with Clorox wipes all day today. :)

She listened to Sam, and said he sounded very musical in those lungs. They went ahead and gave him a breathing treatment cuz he sounded so bad. We have been doing them at home, since Thursday, but they haven't been helping him. She also decided to give him a strep test, just to be sure he didn't have it. That was not fun. He had already seen them gag Avery, and he has so much stuff running down his throat, that he already felt like gagging. He did NOT want to do it, but we ended up getting it done. No strep. So yes, we did that for nothing, which is exactly what he said. Anyway, his oxygen level was 96, they don't ever want it under 95, so he barely made it. The doctor was very unhappy with his asthma treatment plan. She plans on treating it very aggressively as soon as he gets over this bout of lung problems. No one has ever seemed really concerned with his asthma, and only worries about his allergies (which do go hand in hand), but it is ridiculous for him to get pneumonia all the time like this. So she put him on a HEAVY dose of steroids for 7 days, with no tapering. He has never been on this much before, so we will see how that goes. It already makes him jittery and grumpy. I bet we are going to have a FUN week. NOT. She also put him back on Singulair and his nasal spray. They took him off all medicine in hope that his last surgery would help and he wouldn't have to take so much anymore. That didn't happen. I have seen no improvement at all since the surgery. He had his surgery 2 months ago, and already has pneumonia again. What happened to the 75% chance of improvement. :( Anyway, he has to go back on Friday to see how he is doing. At that time, she will put into action a better asthma plan that will be more hard-hitting. He will also get an inhaler, which he has never had before, which has surprised me, with all the lung problems he has. Maybe this will be the doctor that can get everything taken care of with him.

Our last pediatrician would tell me he was perfectly fine, he was not abnormally sick (even though he had to be on antibiotics and steroids every 6 weeks to stop another infection)etc. I would take him in because I could see he was doing badly and on his way to infection, and she would send us home with nothing. Then I would be back in 3 days later with a full blown serious infection. I ended up NEVER taking Sam to the Ped. and we would go to the allergist every time he was sick. We love the allergist and he actually LISTENS to me and does a good job at treating him, but I want to find someone who will PREVENT these occurances. Hopefully we have found her. We are almost to the point that we are going to take him to John Hopkins or the Mayo Clinic or somewhere to figure out what is wrong with him.

Of course this all comes when we don't have any money. Sigh. I spent a huge chunk just today on prescriptions, and we have to go back Friday for another chunk. Fall clothes need to be bought, Christmas is coming, and on and on.

Change of subject. Lindsay and I sand in our Chorus' Annual Show on Saturday. It was fun and tiring. I think it was a really good show, it felt good, and we had lots of good comments. Maybe next year I will be up there singing with my quartet. Quartets can only sing on our show if they medaled in a competition. Who knows, maybe it will happen. We did a 50's set, which was fun. We got to wear poodle skirts, and do cheesy dances. :) We also did a patriotic set. The audience even stood up during one of our songs, and we got a standing ovation. We had a really good turn out this year and the seats were pretty full. :)

Sam is trying out for the school play tomorrow! This is his first chance to do it because it is only for 3rd-5th grades. He is so excited. He is a little nervouse, but I know he will love it.

I guess that is it for now. No more sickness, please, especially Strep!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry they are sick...I went through the pneumonia thing with my daughter Taylor...it is very frustrating...

Jeanna