Thursday, June 26, 2008

So today was pretty much wasted away at doctor's offices. Sigh. We didn't even get to swim today, which the kids were NOT happy about. This morning some people from church came over for a little visit. As soon as they left, we left too. We went to Arby's. The kids love it there, and I had promised them we could go sometime this week. Then we went to Target. We were out of milk and I had to get stuff for a Bridal Shower I am helping host on Saturday. Then we went to get Sam's allergy shot. We usually go on Tuesdays, but we spent the day in the pool, so we put it off until today.

I am going off track a little bit, to get back on track. :) Yesterday morning, Sam woke up and he had two bug bites. One was small and on the back of his neck, and one was larger, about the size of a nickel on his upper arm. I figured they were mosquito bites and that he had probably itched the one on his arm in his sleep. He had been outside the night before with AJ, and AJ had said that he needed to spray the yard because there were so many bugs. Well, throughout the day it itched him, but he is really good about not itching so I didn't think much about it. We put some Bendaryl cream on a few times. As the day went on the bite got bigger and I figured that it was probably a spider bite instead. Well, this morning he woke up and it was much bigger, was swollen, and was warm. It was probably about the size of a half dollar, maybe a little bigger. I put more benadryl on and we went about our day.

All that to say, when we got to his shot today, he was worried about her giving his shot in that arm. I told him just to tell her about it and she wouldn't give it to him in that arm. Well, when she saw it, she freaked out a little and asked if a doctor had seen it. I said no, that I was just waiting to see if it would calm down. I am allergic to spider bites, and since he is allergic to everything, it really was no surprise to me that he was allergic to them as well. She took him back in the office and showed some other people (the allergist wasn't in today) and they were all worried about it and said I needed to take him to the doctor. I was thinking in my head, Geez, it's just a spider bite, it looks bad, but it will go away. Well, she put some bacteria stuff on it and he came back out to me, along with her, who kept stressing that it was terrible, blah, blah, blah, and then he actually showed me again what it looked like. Within those few hours, it had grown even more. It was covering most of his upper arm, it was bright red, burning hot, raised, and hard. It was really bad. It looked bad this morning, but you know, just like a normal bad bite, but it looked 100 times worse at that time, and I didn't even know it. So I called the doctor and they got him in an hour later. By the time they stopped gushing about it, he got his shot, and we left, we had been there forever. We then had time to kill so went to McDonald's and let them play for a little bit. After that we went to the pediatrician. By this point, it was hurting him pretty badly and it was hard for him to even move it to put on his seat belt. When the doctor came in and saw it, he said WOW! Now THAT is Awesome! LOL! Typical guy talk meaning it looks totally gross and disgusting and must hurt a lot. :) He couldn't believe how much it had grown and swollen in that short a time. He felt all around it. Around the outside part, before you even get to the redness it started hurting him. Then the further in he went the hotter it got, the more swollen and raised it got, and the harder it got. He hadn't really seen anything like it and wanted to know what in the world bit him. He said it was obviously infected and that we needed to be careful of Staph and something else. He gave him an antibiotic and he drew a circle around the bite. If it gets much bigger or he gets red streaks going up his arm then we need to come back in. Hopefully, the antibiotic will do the trick and we caught it early enough before anything else happens. I am glad he is on an antibiotic. He really needs one right now. His nose is all red and swollen, and even has little blisters because he is having to blow it so much. Poor kid. He is just falling apart lately. I can tell too, he is being really grumpy this week. Surgery, that helps, can't come soon enough!

Anyway, after all that we had to drive home (his shot and ped are 30 minutes away)and then go pick up his prescription. We had been gone all day and both kids were just ready to come home. Whew!

Here is a picture of The Bite. Sorry about the terrible quality. I took it with my stupid, little camera. It looks way worse than this, but you get the picture.


Last night was my first quartet rehearsal. It went better than I expected. I was worried and freaking out because these girls are so good and experienced that I was sure I was going to be so behind just overall lacking. That wasn't the case, at least I don't think. :) We sounded a lot better than I thought we would. Everyone seemed happy and we even scheduled rehearsal through October, so that's a good sign. :) We picked out a few more pieces of music to learn to, so we are on our way. We haven't really made a commitment as far as competing etc, but that will come later. Two of the girls are in other really good quartets that are priority right now (one of them is even going to International competition this year) so this is kind of a practice, just playing around thing. They gave me lots of compliments (maybe because they knew I was nervous) but I really do think we sounded good and fit well. I recorded it and listened to it after they left, thinking I would hate how I sounded, etc, but I surprised myself. I am sure they brought out the best in me with their abilities, but I am happy. I hope it works out for us, and if not, I am sure I will learn a lot. :) I haven't done this before, and although I love singing, can work my way around a piece of music, etc, I just never think I am good enough, and I am definitely not confident enough. Hopefully this will help with that. My goal this year was mainly to find a quartet to sing with that would teach me and help me prepare for future quartets, and I think that is just what I found. It is a little overwhelming to think I will be singing with these girls who really know what they are doing, but I will learn a lot and that's just what I wanted. So I need to get over my shyness and just do it! :)

The kids were EXCELLENT while they were here. Good job boys! They were here from 6:00 to 9:30 and the boys just played quietly and nicely upstairs the whole time. I put them to bed in the middle of it and they did great and went right to sleep with no problem. I have good boys. :) One of the ladies even asked if I really had kids up there. LOL!

Tomorrow we are going on a swim playdate with some people from church. So that will be fun, and will hopefully make up for us not swimming at all today.

Sam is getting baptized on his birthday, July 6th, and he has asked me to sing for it. I need to get cracking on learning that music and finding someone who can play it for me! I also need to TRY not to be nervous. I can do it, I know I can! LOL! That was just me trying to raise my confidence, even though I know it really won't work.

Well, I guess that is it for tonight. Au Revoir!

0 comments: